my newest "project"

My fabric stash has exploded. And I mean that in all definitions. Thanks to a quilt bee, several completed projects, and a scrap bag or two, I have more fabrics on hand than ever before. But, they are also all over the place. Sorta looks like a bomb went off.

When I got my first TwitterB block fabric, I actually was looking for scraps in three different places in my house. Not good. Great big (like 20-gallon big) containers of batting, scraps, kits, books, you name it. Then another pile downstairs and still more in small containers. At least the small containers were partially organized.

To say the least, it was a bit frustrating.  Especially given that I kept finding things I had forgotten that I had purchased - like five additional table runner kits from Fat Quarter Shop.  *sigh*

A little after discovering admitting to this problem, I found this fabric folding tutorial over at Cut to Pieces.  - - - "Liiiiiightbulb."


(We are huge Despicable Me fans, btw.)

I've posted on my sewing  space before, and I know this isn't the best picture - still terrible light down there - but check out the background.  See those "cuts" in the wall?  Perfect stash shelves.  :)

IMG_1631 - Version 3

So, last Thursday on a return trip from Charlotte, I stopped by the local comic book store and picked up a pack of 100 backer-boards.  When I got home that night, I started gathering my stash pockets bit by bit and after a little time, I had this....

IMG_2053

It's going to look so good on my wall!!  Oh, I can't wait.

The horizontal fabrics are about 1/2 yard or larger (but I don't really measure - just eyeball) and the vertical ones are 1/4 yards to 1/2 yards.  I cut the boards in half for them.  I haven't worked on any of my fat quarters yet, so I'm not sure how they will work.

I'm about a third of the way done, and I can't wait to see how they turn out!   It's also been fun to discover what I have in my stash as I've come across several that I just don't remember buying... a print from the Pure line, one from Modern Meadow, several from All Star, etc.  Maybe I'll find my brain while digging out the rest of my fabrics, LOL!

Photobucket

Comments

  1. Yes those cut-out shelves are to DIE for! I can't wait to see the stash on them!

    As for the folding of the fat quarters, you could cut the cardboard into quarters ( squares), too, and then wrap em around there, maybe secure with a pin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this is an older post but I have to ask... What is the green and blue spotty fabrics? They were sold in fat 6th bundles in Spotlight Stores in Australia and I really liked them and wanted more, but they had no fabric names on them so I didn't know what to look for on the internet, or even if they were ever sold by the yard. Do your pieces have selvedges?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment