back to "reality"

The trip was...

Outstanding.

Awesome.

Life changing.


I'm not even sure where to start, so while I'm gathering my thoughts over the next few days (or weeks) and processing it all out, here are some pictures.  I'm actually thinking of a "what I learned" series here regarding the culture and how different it was...and how it has affected my outlook on life.

Let me start with this:  If you ever have an opportunity to go on a trip like this, take it.  
Don't hesitate.  Go.

Don't let fear hold you back.  You'll never regret it.

On to the photos....

beautiful

This is the amazing and wonderful view we were treated to while driving to one of the local villages. Breathtaking.



family

A photo with the family we visited on one of our first days there. We were walking through the neighborhood and one of the older women said hello. We started chatting and, next thing you know, we were invited into their home where we talked like we were old friends. One of the ladies' son (at right) spoke English and was a great help. They gave us water, tea, cookies, and fruit...and even shared the photo album from a recent wedding. Before too long, the entire family had shown up to visit us, including a less-than one month old baby. So wonderful.



outskirts

This is me on the edge of the neighborhood where the women lived, with the rest of the town in the background (and the mountains in the distance). I think the building near me is a shepherds' hut, but I'm not sure. Not a house, but a place for them to rest during the day. There were several shepherds in the area.



As you probably guessed from the terrain and people's appearances, I was in the Middle East. It was amazing. Though fleeting thoughts of danger (worry, I guess) had occurred before the trip, not once did they occur while on the trip. We never felt afraid or threatened. I continue to be astonished at the warmth and hospitality we were shown...even by complete strangers.

More pictures will slowly trickle through as I post more. It's strange to not know what to say - there is just so much!

Oh, there is one more thing...

While I was there, I finished and gave away three mug rugs, including one I gave to the women pictured above (we went back later in the week). They didn't have anything like them over there, so who knows how it will be used.

I didn't get pictures of all of them before giving them away, only one. I really hate that I didn't get all of them - or, what would have been even better - a picture with the recipients. Oh well. Life is about living, not photographing, right? Besides, I have the images in my heart. 

Here is the one that I did manage to snap a photo of...

IMG_2659

Very simple, just a four-patch with a border. Still, I think it turned out very pretty.  Reversible, too...what did you expect?  Simple stripes on the back (no pic).

I also picked up some fabric while I was there to make a quilt for myself. I'll have to use stabilizer, but I think it will still work. There was no cotton to be found. Hope to have pics of that up soon.


Photobucket

Comments

  1. awesome pics!! I'd love to take a trip like that. I'm sure it is a very humbling experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! Can't wait to read/see more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really excited to read more. Sounds like an amazing experience and a trip of a lifetime. Hopefully you will be able to do something like it again in the future!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment