WIP Wednesday - so excited!

I feel like a dork, but I must say, I am on cloud nine today.

I have an appointment at 3:30 with the long-arm machine at my local quilt shop...and I feel like a 17 year-old getting ready for a big date. The day simply can't go by fast enough.

I'm quilting the guitar quilt for my youngest. This one...

IMG_1778

I have to say it's one of my favorite quilts to date.  I love how the browns and blues have come together and the fabric is sooooo characteristic of my son - it fits him perfectly.

The back ended up being a bit of a pain for me, but I finally got it done.  You may remember my post about planning and piecing, where I featured this little pic.  

IMG_1778


Well - in trying to create that back, I learned that there *is* such a thing as too complex.  I spent more time trying to figure out and piece the back than I did piecing the front, including my screw up.  Not good.  

So, I scrapped my plans and started all over.  One simple strip down the back, just to the right of center, with a label in the middle, inspired by Julie's pieced back tutorial.  I used the guitar fabric for the back, with a vertical stripe of the tan and the chocolate around my label.  (Sorry, no pic yet).

It's hanging in my car as I type, ready to go straight from work to the quilt shop.  I have to constantly keep myself from going out and checking on it...you know, to make sure it's safe.  :)

Once done, I'll attach the binding and pack it up for my beach trip.  Will be hand stitching it there since my sewing machine has been banned by hubby.  (Can't say that I blame him - he knows I'd never stop sewing!)

Quilting pics tomorrow!

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced













Photobucket

Comments

  1. Love that guitar quilt - great job on the colors! I would never have thought about combining them, but they've turned out perfectly. I love getting to peek in on how other people think about color. Thanks for sharing!

    -Jerimi

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha. Hubby makes you leave the machine home, huh? They know us too well! :-)
    Your quilt is great! Good luck with the quilting - will be good to have that done & on to the binding. I understand about those backs - they are a puzzle sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The guitar quilt is amazing! Good luck with the machine quilting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! The colors are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully done! I love the fabric you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a lovely quilt top! Love that fabric!
    ~Kimberlee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful quilt - I'm sure it will be much loved! The browns and blues are great together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, your color choices are wonderful and not an obvious combination. I linked to your post here, http://quilting.craftgossip.com/?p=9675

    Warmly,
    Scarlett Burroughs
    Quilting Editor, Craft Gossip

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your guitar quilt! I know your son is going to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! No wonder it's your favorite. :) (And I feel like a giddy teen when I get to go work at the longarmer's, too.) ;D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the colors and the fabric. I have a baby boy and I'm always looking for great boy colors. Have fun quilting it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It turned out wonderfully! I love it, it's very boyish and still beautiful. Great work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment