something new

It's so nice to be finished with *almost* all of my quilts - I finished FOUR over my holiday break.  FOUR!!  Ok, ok, one is still in binding mode, but it will be done in the next day or so, well before classes start.  However, in reviewing them as well as those I made last year, I noticed something.



2011 quilts - 12011 quilts - 2


Do you see it????   They're all SQUARES!!

Except for the pinwheel in the black-and-white quilt, all of the quilt blocks are squares or some variation on a square.  Oy!  Same is true for the three quilts I've just finished but haven't shown you yet.  Yup.  Squares.

As you can imagine, I'm ready for something different, so I've decided to join the Oh My Stars! Quilt Along over at Thought and Found.  I've been eying it for a while, trying to decide what to do and I've finally decided to jump in.  I can't stop thinking about it so, if I can't beat 'em, I should join 'em, right?

Oh My Stars! (A Quilt-Along)

I'll be using my Terrain (gasp!) fat-eighth bundle with a few coordinating solids peppered throughout.



IMG_3482_edited-1.JPG


I purchased this chunk of gorgeousness way back in October and have spent quite a bit of time admiring it.  I did break down and use an inch or two of one of the purple fabrics for a zipper pouch, but otherwise it still sits, all bundled up in a beautiful little stack.

Now, I will say up front that I won't be going at the same clip as the others in the QAL.  Second semester classes start up next week, so I'm not committing to any big projects.  I've turned down swaps, bees, and even my church group on new projects.  I just can't do it. 

My goal is one star set a week (a star set is one 12", two 8" and four 4" stars) and if I miss a week then I miss a week.  Not beating myself up over this one.  No deadline.  No rush.  No worries.  It gets done when it gets done.  This project is intended to be a stress reliever and a (hopeful) reward to finishing surviving the Spring semester.   The quilt is for me, the time to build it will be for me and, likewise, I'll be going at my own little pace.  :) 

The only other thing I'm trying to do is dedicate Sundays to my Bethlehem Star quilt.  My father-in-law came over last night with a train table for my boys, handmade to our specifications.  Now they have an awesome place to build their tracks and a little scenery without messing up their toy area.  If you remember, he also made my cutting table (which I adore!) and the quilt is a thank you to him.  I must finish this.  Goal is October for this one.  The quilt is more tedious than I ever imagined, so I need a deadline to keep me on it.  Prayers welcome.  ;o)

I'll try to keep y'all posted as I go with some WIP updates on both quilts.  Please don't worry too much if I get quiet.  I was really stressed out last semester, so I'm trying to learn from my mistakes.  Shortening my to-do list will help immensely. 

Oh - and I still have three finished quilts to show you.  Eep!


Comments

  1. Ooh, I can't wait to see your Oh My Stars in Terrain!! I've also been looking at it but haven't committed yet. There's no way I could keep up with the pace right now, so I thought I might wait until my WIP basket is a little less FULL before jumping in.

    Good luck on the Bethlehem, and I like all of your square quilts! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilts are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope your Spring semester is less stressful for you & good luck with those two quilts :)
    I LOVE all of your squares quilts - but really, aren't most quilts, ultimately, made up of some form of a square?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kind of funny that you didn't realize that trend until you reviewed the quilts all at once!

    Have fun with the stars, I will be watching your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It will be beautiful. I have this fat eighth too. It's lovely. I look forward to seeing this lovely quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so excited to see the stars sewn up in Terrain!! I love this line, although I don't have any on my own stash...yet. ;) And I love your blog name. I do most of my stitching after dark as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terrain is perfect for Oh My Stars! I was eyeing that quiltalong before I fell under the Swoon spell!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all the squares!! The stars will look great in the Terrain, look forward to seeing your progress :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Terrain is my latest craze! I bought a layer cake of it in October and will sit (in my spare time) and thumb through all the different designs. I'm still not absolutely certain what I'll make with it, but I want to make a quilt for my grown daughter. I wish I could find a pattern book for Layer Cakes - I'm never quite sure if I have enough fabric to start a project or not? Good luck with your studies this semester. It's good to create a balance in our lives - keeps us sane!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment