Charmed by the Sea

Late last year, AnneMarie at GenX Quilters hosted a wonderful Quilt Along called Charmed Prints. Finally...in April...I finished mine. Only four months late. *cough*

Charmed by the Sea 2


The QAL was focused on using a charm pack to make a simple quilt with sashing and borders.  I needed something simple, and I had a three quarters of a leftover layer cake of Odyssea.  (For those of you who don't know, one layer cake is the equivalent of four charm packs.)  Seeing a good way to use some stash, I jumped in.  There were four blocks featured, of which I chose three - the Star BlockDiamond in the Square, and Pinwheel Block.  The remainder of my blocks are just the charms themselves, no additional cutting.  Easy peasy.

My boys had been bugging me for another quilt, and I wanted one that my family could share.  The Odyssea fabric was perfect as we are a family of beach bums, living for our annual Hatteras beach trip with friends.  So, I decided to call this one "Charmed by the Sea". 

charmed prints



It's my largest quilt to date - measuring 70-inches square - which makes it big enough to share and it's found a fabulous home on my living room couch.

Charmed by the Sea 3

With school going on and life being what it was, I had a hard time keeping up.  The top came together in late December and I pieced the back, making 9- and 16-patches out of my scraps and leftover charms.  My oldest son even helped with the block placement, which was fun.  :)

Charmed by the Sea 1


I quilted it in January - a simple meander on the LQS long-arm - and made the label, but then got stuck for some reason.  I hand-stitched the binding up until I had about 15 inches left and then stopped.  I don't know why. There it sat, in my living room, until April.  I finally picked it up to take with me on a beach trip with friends.  I finished it that night and took it out on the beach the next morning...without my camera.  *sheesh*.

Charmed by the Sea 4


So, despite the fact that it is a beach quilt, made for the beach, inspired by the beach, and in honor of the beach....I have no pictures on the beach.

Maybe next week...when we head to the beach.  :)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Quilt Stats

Pattern: Charmed Prints Quilt Along by AnneMarie at GenX Quilters
Size: approx. 70" x 70" 
Quilt Top Fabric: Odyssea Layer Cake by MoMo for Moda and Kona White
Backing: Athena in Ocean Blue (from Odyssea line)
Binding: Ionia in Ocean Blue (from Odyssea line)
Pieced and Quilted by: Angie Kimel

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Linking up:
Making Monday Marvelous Linky PartyThe Southern InstituteFresh Poppy Design

Comments

  1. Love your quilt - what a great way to spice up a simple charm quilt. We're also beach bums around here, loving the North Carolina beaches. Congrats on a lovely quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! Love the bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quilt! It looks nice even without the beach. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. I really like your label. Do you print it somehow?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the little blocks thrown in with the square charms. It looks good. Better late than never! www.paperstarfish.prettyposies.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that looks so summery! Enjoy your time at the beach with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow looks great Angie!! I would love to make a beach quilt - that sounds so relaxing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a beautiful quilt!! And it does make me think of the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely and perfect for the beach! I bet your family loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wonderful quilt!! the stars mixed with the squares are wonderful.. have fun at the beach :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is such a fun quilt! you did a great job, I especially love the back. I always forget to do something fun with the back

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's done now and that's all that matters. Love the mix of blocks with charms. So simple but looks so sharp.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a great idea to add a little fun to plain charm blocks.l i love it.. Thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment