sweet sixteen

My niece turned 16 this past Saturday. Sixteen. She was born just a couple weeks after my husband and I first met.  I still remember the two year-old who called me "NaNangie" instead of aunt Angie.  Now she's driving.  Oh, where does the time go?!

She and her family live in Nebraska, so we don't get to see each other very often, but we have tons of fun when we are together. They stayed with us a bit over the holidays in 2010, and that's when she picked out fabrics for this quilt...


IMG_0233_edited-1.JPG


She's got a good eye, doesn't she?  (And... incidentally, is my first finish of 2012!)

The quilt pattern I used is "Alice" by Rita at Red Pepper Quilts.  I added a second row of alternating color and white squares at each end, as Sierra is a bit taller than me (as are most people!), but that's the only change I made.  The pattern was wonderful and the quilt came together quite easily.



IMG_0240_edited-1.JPG


I hadn't intended so long to make the quilt, but it worked out well since 16 is such a monumental birthday.

I also pieced the back, which was quite interesting.  I wanted the quilt to have a true modern feel.  My niece is young, beautiful, fashionable, and trendy and this quilt needed to match.



IMG_0238_edited-1.JPG



This was my first "true" piecing for a back and it was quite the exercise.  I laid the top face down on the floor and put the five large pink fabric squares where I wanted them.  Then I slowly figured out how to cut and sew the backing fabric to fit.



First try at a "real" pieced back.  :)



I liked the way it looked and will probably do it again - though I hope to have a design wall for the next attempt.

I also hand-stitched the label for this quilt using DMC floss to match the fabric colors.  Until now, I've only used printable fabric and markers.  I was out of the printable, and learned the hard way on my dad's quilt that Sharpies aren't fabric safe.   No way I was chancing it on this one.


quilt label



I also used a couple of Color Catchers when I washed this quilt, and I am quite impressed.  I was nervous with all the pinks and reds on the white.  The catchers came out with a little pink, but not much.


IMG_0252_edited-1.JPG


All in all, I'm super excited about how this quilt turned out. I just wish I could have been there to see her open her gift.  But I know she'll love it... after all, what 16 year-old girl doesn't like hot pink?!  :)


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Quilt Stats

Pattern: Alice by Rita at Red Pepper Quilts
Size: approx. 40" x 52" 
Quilt Top Fabric: Tonal Berry Bundle by Fabricworm
Backing: Bubblegum Mixmasters Fizz
Binding: Soiree
Pieced and Quilted by: Angie Kimel (me!)


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Click on my Linky Party page to see where I link up. :)

Comments

  1. Angie, it's just lovely. What a good auntie you are. :) I love the border of blocks at the top and bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so beautiful! Your niece is a lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Angie! Ms. Sweet Sixteen will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this quilt, but it is hard to decide which i love more, the back or the front! nice job, and a great gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the quilt; your niece has chosen a lovely range of fabrics! Beautifully pieced and quilted. LOVE the pieced back too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is beautiful Angie! I am sure she will love it. The color just pops!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's gorgeous! I'm sure she is just loving it, and can feel all the love that's IN it, too. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, I'm double 16 and I LOVE hot pink too! I love this quilt, Angie. If she doesn't love it, send it my way. just kidding, how could she not love it. Great job on the pieced back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the quilt and it turned out great. I hate to ask dumb questions but new to quilting I have heard others talk about color catchers what is that?

    http://richardquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful quilt. You have a very lucky niece.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful quilt and amazing gift! Love the backing too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really nice. Love the colors. I'm working on a pink baby quilt and wasn't sure what to do with the back. Wonder no more. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome quilt! I'm dying for a design wall myself. I would come in so handy for figuring out designs without taking up the whole floor.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow that is a really great quilt! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's gorgeous! She'll surely love it, lucky gal!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice. Lovely colours and a vibrant design. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful quilt! I love the way you did the backing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. a great finish Angie, the colors play well together - you're right she has a good eye! I love this pattern, every time I see it it looks good. Thanks for linking up to Eat, Grow, Sew!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's gorgeous! What an absolutely beautiful sweet 16 gift.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a lovely quilt, I'm sure your niece will love it - and appreciate all the creative work that went into it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's really beautiful! You're right, she does have a great eye and she's a lucky girl to have such an awesome aunt!

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Already a finish in 2012, good for you! I really like the way you did the label in the corner I will certainly want to remember that for my future quilts. Lovely hand stitching too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is such a beautiful quilt! I like the personal stitching! It makes it that much more special to the person! Thanks for linking up to the Tuesday Talent Show! I hope to see you again next Tuesday!
    -Nikki
    Chef in Training
    http://www.chef-in-training.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi! You have made so beautiful quilt! I love the pattern and colours! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful quilt. I love the colors and pattern.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment